Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019

Sue and Martin in Mallorca 2019
On the Archduke's Path in Mallorca

Friday 8 January 2016

Graffiti from the Southern Half (1)

graffiti1

graffiti
ɡrəˈfiːti/
noun: graffito; plural noun: graffiti

  • “writing or drawings scribbled, scratched, or sprayed illicitly on a wall or other surface in a public place”

Manchester has become noted for graffiti in its Northern Quarter. Valparaiso is also noted for its graffiti. Some people we came across last month hated it. We regarded it more as ‘street art’, though technically it is graffiti. The owner of the hostal we stayed in told us that a noted ‘street artist’ from Europe had stayed in the hostal. He’d gone for a wander, returning with the words “I think I’ll have to up my game here”.

I felt the graffiti added to the character of this enthralling town, so I’m going to post a few images on days when nothing of much note is happening here in Timperley. I’ll enjoy revisiting Valparaiso, others may never want to go near the place..

4 comments:

Phreerunner said...

The more I look at this evocative picture, a small piece painted on the side of a shed, the more I think of it as 'art' rather than 'graffiti'. Perhaps in Valparaiso the two terms are synonymous.

I don't expect readers to form an opinion based on this one small image. There are more to come. I hope you enjoy them.

Sir Hugh said...

That is undoubtedly art in my opinion, more so than the ubiquitous sort of quasi three dimensional lettering versions. I would certainly like to see more of your collection.

Phreerunner said...

You've pulled the trigger, Conrad!

Gayle said...

I completely agree with Conrad. Art like this, in the right place, is good; 'tagging' of meaningless initials or scrawl is awful - right down there with littering.